Samarium Cobalt vs. Neodymium Iron Boron
- Maximum temperature of the application
- Required magnetic output at typical use temperature, and
- Total cost of the system.
Advantages of Samarium Cobalt:
- When compared to Neo, SmCo offers unique capabilities such as higher energy density at elevated temperatures.
- Maximum operating temperature for samarium cobalt is more than 2x neodymium iron boron.
- SmCo flux output varies much less with respect to temperature, meaning the device performance can truly be optimised.
Energy Product as a Function of Temperature
The chart below illustrates the energy product of SmCo vs. Neo.